About a month ago we took off on an overnight trip to a place that a friend of ours had described as a little piece of paradise. Our destination: Banana Island, a scrap of jungle and beach about two kilometres off the coast of the Sierra Leone's Western Peninsula. You can see it in the background here:
In the foreground is the boat that took us there. It was about a 20-minute (and rather choppy) ride across the channel, during which, I’m happy to report, I did not feel even the beginnings of seasickness. You can see how happy I was about this.
We got out of our boat on the other side, and a local guide showed us to our beachside bungalow, complete with thatched roofs and wood-slatted windows. I felt like Ginger from Gilligan’s Island settling into camp.
Oli and I decided to do some exploring before dinner, so we headed out on a little walking tour with one of the young guys who work at the guesthouse. Banana Island has no roads; the only thoroughfares are the red-dirt trails that snake through the jungle. We wound our way through little villages of wooden houses and stone churches and came out on a little sandy arc of secluded beach.
We went for a swim. The water, warm as a bath, was luxurious. I've decided I should spend more time in the ocean, ideally off the coast of remote jungle islands. It's good for the soul.




Amazing places...
ReplyDeletebeautiful!
ReplyDeleteLove this blog, Paige. Look forward to reading more!
ReplyDelete